Written by Assaggetti Friday, 10 February 2012 12:30
Posted in: Blog
Italy is famed all around the world for its pizza, but we don’t need to tell you that do we?
However do these countries stick to the traditional pizza and its toppings?
We’ve done some research and found that some have put their own very questionable stamp on this Italian classic.
1. Kimchi, a fermented vegetable with seasoning is a popular topping in Korea. Okay so it may be popular…but fermented? We’d take fresh mozzarella over this any day
2. Brazil, famed for its party atmosphere strangely enough has a liking for a great dollop of mashed potato on their pizza!
3. A restaurant in New York goes for the decadent clientele with their caviar and lobster topped pizza.
4. Okay, so we love marshmallows and we definitely love chocolate but is there any need to put these on a pizza? We think not!
5. Prize for the most over the top, sickly, and unnecessary topping goes to the Pizza Hut chain in Japan. They serve a ‘delicious’ bacon wrapped hot dog with maple syrup…on the pizza.
6. Much closer to home (well the restaurant) a pizzeria in Clapham sold frogs legs pizza…and yes you can see the frog’s legs! Webbed feet and all.
7. In Oklahoma, not a place particularly known for its culinary delights, is a restaurant serving beef tongue topped pizza…yum!?
8. We LOVE seafood at Assaggetti, our calamari is mouth wateringly delicious, but a restaurant in Tokyo may have gone a little too far with their so called ‘Super Joker’ pizza. Toppings include, Squid, Octopus, Clams, Shrimp, Scallops and Crab legs. The name seems to fit the product in this case as they must be joking!
So I’m not sure which of these we’d like to sample ourselves. Personally I love my pizza’s simple with salami, some fresh chili and a sprinkle of oil. But each to their own…
|< Prev||Next >|